Saturday, February 21, 2015

Saturday Brunch



I had the entire Saturday to myself (for once), so I decided to invite a few of my girlfriends over for brunch! Mind you, my oven is no wider than 18 inches, and my only counter space is about 6 inches on either side of the sink. I have two kitchen chairs to go with the tiniest, yet cutest, kitchen table, and a little love seat. While my one person apartment isn't the best for entertaining, I went ahead with the idea anyways because I absolutely love any excuse to have my friends over and share a meal with them. I decided on a "healthy" menu of homemade cinnamon rolls with extra cream cheese frosting. To offset the heavy carbs, I added some fresh fruit, and classic orange juice. This recipe is perfect for anyone hosting a brunch, and can even be doubled or tripled in the event you would like to serve these at a brunch-themed bridal shower, baby shower or even for a morning work meeting.


Homemade Cinnamon Roll Ingredients:  
Dough:
  • 1 (1/4 ounce) package dry yeast
  • 1 cup warm milk (I used the unsweetened vanilla almond milk I had on hand, but any type of milk or buttermilk can be used!)
  • 1/2 cup granulated sugar
  • 4 cups flour
  • 1 tsp. salt
  • 1 large egg
  • 1 stick melted, unsalted butter
Cinnamon Roll Filling:
  • 1 cup packed brown sugar
  • 2 1/2 tbsp. cinnamon
  • 1/2 stick room-temperature, unsalted butter
Cream Cheese Frosting:
  • 8 oz. cream cheese (I used the greek cream cheese I had on hand)
  • 1 stick room-temperature, unsalted butter
  • 1 pound powdered sugar
  • 1 tsp. pure vanilla extract
Baking Directions:
1. Begin with the dough for the cinnamon rolls. In a large mixing bowl, add the packet of dry yeast and pour the warm milk of your choice over to dissolve. Then, add sugar, flour, salt, egg and melted butter.
2. Knead the dough into a large ball for about 5 minutes. Lightly dust your hands with flour if this begins to get too sticky. After, lightly dust your counter top and rolling pin with flour and begin rolling the dough out into a 16 x 16 inch square.


3. Then, taking the room-temperature butter, evenly spread across the square of dough. In a medium sized bowl, hand sift the brown sugar and cinnamon. Evenly sprinkle the mixture over the buttered dough. Using a knife or pizza cutter, cut the dough into two inch wide slices.

4. Carefully roll up each slice. You may need to dust your fingers with flour for easy rolling.
5. Place all rolls into a greased baking pan. Cover lightly with plastic wrap, and let rise for 45-60 minutes. While the dough rises, pre-heat your oven to 350 degrees, and begin the cream cheese icing. Combine all ingredients into a mixing bowl, and either beat with an electric mixer or hand mix until fluffy. This makes quite a bit of frosting, but if you enjoy cinnamon rolls like I do, the more icing, the merrier!

6. After the rolls have risen, place into the oven for about 45 minutes or until golden brown and filling is bubbly. Immediately take out of the oven and frost the rolls. Let stand for 5 minutes before serving. If you have extra frosting, place in a small dish and serve along side your cinnamon rolls in case your guests would like extra.

Once the rolls were baking in the oven, I began my finishing touches. Because of the small space, I decided to go with the "assembly line" set-up. This will also work well for larger brunches thrown and even showers where guests may come and go as they please. This way, they are able to serve themselves whenever it is most convenient as well as determine their own portion sizes. I also decided on a southern set-up for the orange juice. I set out some mason jars and filled them with frozen fruit to act as ice cubes. I also gave my guests the choice of pineapple-orange juice, my personal favorite, and regular, pulp-free orange juice. You can also offer champagne on the side, should your guests want a mimosa! I have found that pulp-free juice works best with the bubbly nature of champagne. You can also offer other types of juices like cranberry or berry punch for a fresh take on the original.





When it was all said and done, I would love to say that I threw the perfect brunch...but when I went to pull my perfectly baked, hand-rolled cinnamon buns out of the oven, I was a little impatient, and long story short, I ended up dumping the entire contents of my pan onto the bottom of my oven. I salvaged what I could, and decided to serve "monkey bread" in place of the cinnamon rolls. Thank goodness it was delicious anyways! I pray this does not happen to you, but should luck not be on your side, my improvised monkey bread was a success as well.

Party planning is never perfect, but after all, it's the quality friendships and conversations that come from events that matter most. I think it's important that we don't lose sight of why we are throwing events. Yes, it's easy to get caught up in the details and wanting everything to go on without a hitch, but let's be honest. No one is perfect, and not every event can be perfect, so roll with the punches, think on your feet, and enjoy those around you! 
Happy brunch-planning! 
xoxo Jordan

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
BLOG TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS